Daily Departures: Between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m.
Duration: One day
Return to Cusco: Between 6:00 and 6:30 p.m.
Maximum Altitude: 5,200 meters (17,060 ft)
Walking distance: 15 km
Walking Hours: 6 to 7 hours
Peak Season: April to December
Your day will begin with an early pickup from your accommodation in Cusco, between 4:30 and 5:00 am. Our private transportation will take you from the south of Cusco to the town of Cusipata. The transfer lasts approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Upon arrival in Cusipata, we will have breakfast. After breakfast, we will continue our trip to the Rainbow Mountain for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. On the way to the mountain, you will have the chance to enjoy beautiful landscapes and to see the wildlife.
We will start our adventure with a walk uphill for about 1 hour and a half, appreciating in the background snowy mountains and wonderful landscapes. Then, we will finally reach the point to which we will be able to appreciate the colors of the Rainbow Mountain and the stunning view it offers.
After visiting and taking pictures, we will return the same way we came with a 1.5-hours hike, have lunch, and start the drive back to Cusco, arriving between 6:00 and 6:30 pm.
US$40 per person
- Pick-up from your accommodation and drop-off near the main square
- Round trip transportation
- English/Spanish-speaking professional guide
- Breakfast and lunch
- Entrance fees to Rainbow Mountain
- Vegetarian food available on request with no extra charge
- First aid equipment
- Tips for the guide and driver
What to Bring:
- Hiking boots
- Small daypack or backpack (approximately 20L)
- Comfortable, lightweight trekking clothes or activewear (layers recommended)
- Waterproof, sturdy hiking boots with good ankle support and traction
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Warm coat
- Hat and gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- Sun hat or cap
- Insect repellent
- Water (at least 1L)
- Personal medications
- Muscle relaxers
- Painkillers or anti-inflammatories
- Bandaids (especially those designed for blisters)
- Toilet paper
- Cash (in small denominations of Peruvian Nuevos soles)
Where is Rainbow Mountain is located?
It is located 3.5 hours by car from Cusco.
When does the tour start and finish?
Since the location is 3.5 hours away we will have an early start between 4.30 a.m and 5:00. The tour finishes at 7:00 p.m.
Is lunch included?
Yes, you will receive lunch.
Is there a toilet on the way?
Yes and we can stop for toilet breaks.
What is the maximum altitude?
The maximum altitude we will reach is 5,200 meters (17,060 ft)
What will I do if I suffer from altitude sickness?
We will treat you accordingly. We carry oxygen cylinders and altitude tablets.
Can I take a horse if I can’t walk up?
Yes, you can take a horse for around 70 soles that you need to pay directly to the people there. However, the horses cannot bring you until the end of the trail. You will need to walk for around an hour to get to the best viewpoint.