The 2D/1N Lake Titicaca Home Stay: Uros, Amantani and Taquile Islands is one of the most popular tours in Puno. You will have the opportunity to stay with a local family and experience the unique way of life of the people of Amantani Island. You will also navigate one of the highest lakes in the world and take in the beautiful scenery of the lake and the surrounding landscapes.
Day 1 of the tour we will visit:
Uros Floating Islands
Day 2 of the tour we will visit:
This tour departs every Monday – Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
On Sundays – 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Day 1: Tour Uros Floating Islands & stay in a Homestay on Amantani Island.
You will be picked up from your hotel or the bus station in Puno early in the morning and transferred to our office in Puno. Then, by 7:45am, we will take you to the pier to take a motor boat towards the Uros Floating Islands. Upon arrival, we will walk on the reed islands and interact with the native people. Later, you will have the opportunity to ride a handmade reed boat (for extra charge of US $3.00). We will then continue our journey towards “Amantani Island”, where we will spend the rest of the day and the night. Upon arrival, a group of native families will meet us at the pier, and take us to their homes for lodging. In the afternoon we will walk up to the highest point of the island to explore the ancient ruins the locals call Pachatata. From these ruins, we will have beautiful views of the landscape in time to witness the sunset over the lake. Soon after nightfall, we will descend to the main plaza to meet our local family and return to their home for dinner. (Remember to watch your head when entering their small doorways). After dinner, our visitors are invited to a local party which takes place at the main folklore saloon and it is accompanied by one of the local bands. After enjoying the festivities, you will go back to your homestay to sleep.
Day 2: Taquile Island and return to Puno in the afternoon.
You will wake up around 8:00 a.m. and have breakfast. Afterwards, we will walk down to the harbour to take the boat towards Taquile Island, the trip will take approximately 1 hour. Taquile is a traditional Quechua speaking community full of ancient agricultural terraces. The weaving tradition is part of the culture here and dates back to early pre-incan civilizations; all weaving is done by hand. Once we arrive on the island, we will walk up along a narrow path, enjoying the impressive views of Lake Titicaca and Amantani Island. At the village, you will have free time to explore on your own and eat lunch at one of the local restaurants (for an extra charge). Later, we will walk down to the pier to take our motor boat back to Puno. We will arrive in Puno around 4:00 p.m. and you will be transferred back to your hotel.
Price: 200 soles per person (Peruvian currency) The price do not including transportation to Puno)
Included / Not Included
What is included in this tour:
- Bilingual tour guide
- Pick up from your Hotel or bus station in Puno and transfer to the harbour
- Motor boat with toilet facilities.
- Entrance fees.
- 1 night accommodation in a family stay on Amantani Island
- Meals (1 Lunch 1 Dinner 1 Breakfast on Amantani)
Not included in this tour:
- Tips for your guide
- Round trip bus ticket from Cusco
- Optional: Ride on reed boat (extra charge is US $ 3.00) to be paid to the native people.
- Optional: Bring some gifts for your host family in Amantani.
What you need to bring:
- Warm clothing (gloves, hat, etc)
- A water bottle (water is more expensive on the islands)
- A flashlight or headlamp
- Rain gear
- Sunscreen (important as the sun is reflected by the lake)
- Extra money for lunches and shopping
How do I get to Puno?
1) You can take an overnight bus from Cusco which usually leaves at 10:00 p.m. and should arrive in Puno at 5:00 a.m. the next morning. These buses have reclining seats to make the journey more comfortable. The bus company we usually employ is Tour Peru or Transzela. If this bus is not available at the time of your tour, we can book your trip with an alternative bus company.
2) You can also take a day bus from Cusco which stops at different tourist attractions along the way to Puno. If you take this option, you can then spend the night in Puno in a hotel before you start your tour.
3) There is no direct flight from Cusco to Puno. However, if you do wish to travel by plane, you can fly from Cusco to Juliaca and then take a 45 minute bus to Puno. However, this option will be more expensive than the bus from Cusco.
4) Inti Sun Trek is not based in Puno and does not have any guides operating in Puno. Therefore, this tour will operate through an exterior company based in Puno. However, we will do our best to choose a good tour company for you in Puno.
What time does the tour start and finish?
The tour starts at 7:45 a.m. and finishes two days later at 5:00 p.m.
What is the group size of the tour?
There can be up to 25 people on the tour.
How long is the boat ride to the floating islands?
The boat ride lasts approximately 1 hour to the first island and then another 3 hours to the second island where you spend the night. On the second day it is 1 hour from Amantani to Taquile and 2 hours from Taquile to Puno.
What are the accommodations like with the host family?
You spend the night with a local family with basic accommodation. There is no private toilet, it is shared with the family.
Are the meals included in the price?
Yes, you will have lunch and dinner with the host family in Amantani.
How many people can stay with the one family?
As the accommodation is quite small, a maximum of four people can stay with the one family.
What gifts can we bring for the children?
You can bring books, toys and second hand warm clothes.